At Arbutus we have a vision: to cure chronic Hepatitis B virus (HBV). We have a dedicated and innovative team and we are uniquely positioned to transform the HBV treatment landscape. We are developing a portfolio of drug candidates with multiple mechanisms of action that we believe will result in a combination therapy to cure HBV.
About the role:
Reporting to the CFO the Corporate Controller, Finance is a key strategic leader and is responsible for the provision of accounting, financial reporting and financial analysis in support of Arbutus’ external reporting requirements, internal financial processes, and product pipeline and collaborations.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
• Serve as key business partner with the CFO in all financing, business development or M&A activities of the company.
• Participate in and/or review of monthly and quarterly reporting process, including completion of file sections and binders, and assisting with completion of reporting package.
• Preparation and/or review of quarterly and annual external reports, including consolidated financial statements, MD&A, Annual Report various ad hoc SEC forms, including securities and beneficial ownership filings.
• Oversee preparation of quarterly audit binders.
• Key participant in annual budgeting and quarterly forecasting process
• Liaise with auditors and counsel as necessary about financial reporting and financing documents as necessary.
• Identify and resolve financial reporting issues.
• Participate in process improvements and internal controls documentation and other activities relating to SOX.
• Recommend and implement corporate tax planning and compliance strategies. Oversee corporate
• tax compliance through preparation (with external support) of tax returns and other compliance filings with government regulatory bodies, including US tax filings and cross-border tax filings, as required.
• Review of employee stock option and warrants databases, including option/warrants expense
• Provide accounting and financial decision support to partner collaboration contracts.
• Manage treasury function.
• Train other cross-functional staff on finance related initiatives as required.
• Ensure that all activities are conducted in compliance with any pertinent regulatory requirements, and in accordance with scientific standards, ethical and professional values, established priorities and practices of the company.
• Collaborates and interacts with others in a mutually supportive and cooperative manner that reinforces the concept that staff at all levels are expected to seek ways in which they can support and assist others to achieve expected results, as well as to be effective in their own accountability areas.
• Other duties as assigned.
Complexity Scope & Discretion:
• Works on issues where analysis of situation or data requires review of relevant factors.
• Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action.
• Receives assignments in the form of objectives with goals and the process by which to meet goals.
• Initiates proactive discussions with managers and executives, as appropriate, to ensure awareness of key issues and developments on a timely basis.
• Recommends changes to policies.
• CPA with 10 or more years of progressive accounting experience.
• Public company and SOX experience required; knowledge of biotechnology/ pharmaceuticals/ life sciences sector a plus.
• Experience and aptitude for leading and mentoring accounting staff.
• Experience and aptitude for business process improvement / systems implementation.
• Exceptional attention to detail and analytical skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; able to communicate with variety of audiences and collaborate effectively with internal and external customers and stakeholders.
• Is respected by internal and external “customers”, may act as team “expert”.
• Demonstrates a clear understanding of overall company strategy; develops understanding of team and unit strategy and objectives.
• Demonstrates effective project planning skills within area of expertise; works with others to plan, budget, and organize.
• Monitors results against plan, consistently produces expected results. Designs project work processes under guidance to ensure team/extended team buy-in.
• Demonstrates sensitivity to inter-team and organizational dynamics. Acts to gain the cooperation of others.
• Advanced Excel skills required.