At Arbutus we have a vision: to cure chronic Hepatitis B virus (HBV). We have a dedicated and innovative team and we are uniquely positioned to transform the HBV treatment landscape. We are developing a portfolio of drug candidates with multiple mechanisms of action that we believe will result in a combination therapy to cure HBV.
Reporting to the Director of Immunology, the Scientist will work in close collaboration with Principal Scientists and Senior Scientists in the advancement of antiviral and immunology drug development. The Scientist will develop assays (Immunology and Virology), transition these assays to high throughput screening campaigns, and execute those screens successfully. This role will be a key driver in the progression of screening hits through Hit to Lead and beyond.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
· Duties will include procurement and preparation of materials, execution of experiments and procedures in support of primary compound screening, lead optimization programs, mechanism of action studies, and drug combination studies.
· Follow and write Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to maintain consistency of assay results.
· Recording of procedures and results in laboratory notebooks, digital lab management systems, and reported in organized appropriate fashion according to SOPs.
· Working largely under direction by supervisors, the Scientist will provide high quality data and perform primary analysis of data.
· A PhD in Immunology or Biochemistry or relevant laboratory-based life sciences, and 2-6 years industry experience in hands-on biological laboratory research positions. Preference will be given to those with high throughput screening experience including hands-on technical skills with robotics (Biomek platform) and/or high content imaging. Lab based immunology experience is a plus including flow cytometry, ELISA, Real-time PCR, immune cell purification, western blotting, luciferase reporter assays, and co-cultures.
· Ability to quickly learn and understand new methods.
· High level of organization and record keeping.
· Extensive experience in tissue culture