At Arbutus we have a vision: to cure chronic Hepatitis B virus (HBV). We have a dedicated and innovative team and we are uniquely positioned to transform the HBV treatment landscape. We are developing a portfolio of drug candidates with multiple mechanisms of action that we believe will result in a combination therapy to cure HBV.
We are currently seeking a Director, Non-Clinical Toxicology to work at our Warminster, PA location.
The Director of Non-Clinical Toxicology will oversee the execution and reporting of non-clinical safety studies in support of Arbutus’ drug development programs. The Director is a thought leader and will be sought out as the internal expert in toxicology. As such, the Director will serve as the toxicology representative on project teams and will lead the summation of non-clinical toxicology findings for regulatory submissions.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
Acts as the toxicology advisor and leader to the Arbutus executive on non-clinical toxicology programs and serves as the in-house consultant and subject matter expert.
- Participates as a member of the senior research management team and contributes to the development of the Corporate research strategy and objectives.
- Heads the development, planning, and execution of the relevant in vitro and in vivo toxicology and safety assessments for the small molecule therapeutic programs, experience with siRNA would be an additional benefit.
- Provides the CSO with critical assessments of the company’s project portfolio and toxicology efforts.
- Effective at communicating and onboarding cross functional teams and team leads.
- Identifies and secures access to external resources required to support IND-enabling and clinical support studies, including GLP-compliant vendors.
- Interacts with regulatory agencies, as needed, to advance the Company’s product pipeline.
- Proposes independent research projects that fit within the Company’s research focus area.
- Maintains the highest standards of scientific integrity.
- Has and maintains a respected scientific reputation in the scientific community both within the Company and externally.
- Prepares, reviews and delivers scientific presentations for both internal/external stakeholders.
- Stays current of and uses state of the art research techniques and methodologies.
- Mentors other staff members and is integral in developing a world class research organization.
- Other related duties as may be assigned.
PhD in Toxicology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Physiology, or other biological science with a minimum of 10 years post graduate experience, or MSc with minimum 15 years’ experience, including progressive scientific leadership roles.
- A diplomate of the American Board of Toxicology, DABT, would also be preferred.
- Proven ability to lead, develop, and motivate a high performing scientific team; proven track record of delivering innovative therapies to the clinic.
- Effective communication and presentation skills, capability to influence decision makers internally and externally.
- Sound judgment and excellent conflict resolution capabilities.
- Well versed in the current GLP regulations and ICH Drug Safety guidelines.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to set priorities and deliver on Company objectives in a timely fashion.
- A strong and consistent publication record in peer reviewed journals.