At Arbutus we have a vision: to cure chronic Hepatitis B virus (HBV). We have a dedicated and innovative team and we are uniquely positioned to transform the HBV treatment landscape. We are developing a portfolio of drug candidates with multiple mechanisms of action that we believe will result in a combination therapy to cure HBV. Arbutus Biopharma located in Warminster, Pennsylvania.
Reporting to the Sr. Research Fellow, the Sr. Scientist, Biology will work independently within a team of Scientists and professionals, in the development and optimization of HBV related assays. This can include both virus and immune based assays as well as the development and running of assays to evaluate off target effects. The Senior Scientist will be expected to perform hands-on laboratory research as well as write reports and present updates of the performed work at internal and external meetings.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Investigate a therapeutic research area to implement and complete research projects
• Execute hands-on laboratory research, including procurement and preparation of materials, execution of experiments and procedures and performing assays in support of development / clinical candidates
• Apply expert knowledge to proposed research projects, exploratory and formal research programs
• Coordinate interdisciplinary resources in collaboration with the research team and line management
• Successfully deliver on research goals and objectives
• Support ongoing research projects by performing assays in support of LO and early projects
• Implement innovative approaches to optimize assays for increased capacity, sensitivity, and turnaround time.
• Development of novel assays to evaluate antiviral, immunological, and off target activities as well as MOA studies
• Mentor and manage junior staff as required to assist in the running of assays in support of drug discovery programs; provide scientific leadership within a matrix team environment
• Represent biology at project team meetings and to other internal audiences of all levels
• Write and generate study reports, presentations, and publications
• Independently stay aware of the current literature in the field
• Implement innovative solutions to the problems at hand
• Other responsibilities as assigned
• Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Virology, or other relevant biological science and minimum 8 years of relevant experience with a proven record of accomplishment in the field
• Recognized and consulted by colleagues and outside the Company as an expert
• Knowledge of the drug discovery and clinical development process is preferred
• Experience with state-of-the-art assay development. Experience with automation and HTS is a plus.
• Excellent written and oral presentation skills; proven ability to effectively present to a variety of audiences
• Strong project manager; ability to efficiently coordinate internal team efforts as well as work performed at CROs
• Ability to set priorities and allocate resources
• Ability to work and manage in a matrixed environment
• Experience with HBV models highly preferred
*No agency calls will be accepted