About the role:
Initially reporting to the Senior Director of Finance, the Associate, AP/Payroll is responsible for accounts payable, payroll and related functions.
Responsibilities will include:
- Accurately reviews and posts invoices (trade and service payables) and performs 3-way matching of packing slips, purchase order and invoice to the GP Dynamics system and make payments.
- Accurately reviews and posts employee expense reports.
- Resolves queries with vendors and employees in a diplomatic manner.
- Understanding corporate signing authority policy and verifying signing authority approval levels.
- Investigates and resolves invoice errors and invoice holds.
- Records prepayments on purchase orders.
- Manages service contracts balances by applying invoice payments to purchase orders.
- Reconciles credit card statements.
- Perform vendor statement reconciliations.
- Prepares month end reports – aged vendor payables, received not vouchered, etc.
- Facilitates and completes accounts payable monthly close procedures.
- Prepares Automated Clearing House (ACH) and wire payments.
- Perform system testing for accounts payable, if required as a result of modifications/upgrades to accounts payable related processes or system/module.
- Administer full payroll cycle, including:
o Enter updates, reconcile adjustments, run payroll on semi-monthly basis;
o Update payroll system for annual salary adjustments;
o Create payroll journal;
o Manage relationships with payroll provider;
o Accurately complete all state and federal reporting and compliance requirements; and
o Review W2s
- Work closely with the Human Resources department to co-ordinate pay and benefits changes, and to support payroll budgeting.
- Prepare various payroll related analyses to support financial reporting.
- Ensure all activities are conducted in compliance with any pertinent regulatory, or statutory requirements, and in accordance with ethical and professional values, management philosophy, established priorities, policies and practices of the Company.
- Act as a technical lead in Finance regarding payroll and accounts payable, recommending and implementing improvements.
- Achieve objectives by working with a variety of groups such as department managers, and office services.
- Prepares certain monthly account reconciliations.
- Assist with analysing internal management reports on a monthly basis and investigate variances.
- Monitors cash balances and advises the Senior Accountant if a fund transfer is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Payroll certification and minimum 5 years of relevant payroll experience or equivalent combination of skills and experience.
- Experience using Microsoft Dynamics / Great Plains Purchasing/AP module required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a client service focus.
- Expert proficiency in Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve and implement improvements to enhance efficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to develop tracking systems and standardized procedures that stand up to internal/external audit or assessment.
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion when managing confidential and sensitive information.
- Above-average ability to effectively organize and prioritize work assignments with minimal direction and supervision.
- Experience with PayChex preferred.
- Accounting and payroll designations an asset.
- Biotechnology industry experience preferred.
About your Application:
At Arbutus we value diversity and encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
We greatly appreciate your interest in being a part of our team; however, because of the volume of resumes received, we are only able to contact you should you be considered for a position. We will keep your resume in our database for one year, and contact you should a position that matches your skills become available.